This post may contain affiliate links.
Be a hit in the fun department with this super cool Thanksgiving craft for kids. The gobbling turkey is super easy to make and it really does gobble! Watching your kid's faces as their turkey 'gobbles' is priceless!
Be sure to watch this short little video to see what I'm talking about!
Supplies you'll need:
1. The pdf of the turkey, feathers, and the instructions - You can download them below.
2. Cardstock copies of the turkey and feathers:
- You can get the pdf's below. It's recommended to print them out on colored cardstock, colors of your choice.
- Each child will need one turkey and as many feathers as they'd like their turkey to have. It's fun to copy the feathers onto a few different colors of cardstock to give some fun variety.
3. Either 3 oz or 5 oz plastic cups. You'll need one cup per turkey. You'll want plastic cups because the vibration/sound will resonate better in them than with paper cups. The color of the cup doesn't matter, they usually come in white or clear. (In this tutorial, 5 oz. cups were used.)
5. Plain sponge - Each turkey will need a cut piece of sponge that measures 1" x 1 1/2".
6. 1 Button per turkey - just any old button will do.
7. Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks - I love using low temp glue guns with kids since they can use them themselves. You'll need to be the judge of how ready your kids are to use glue guns. A good alternative to this would be to use glue dots.
8. Or Glue Dots - Use either a glue gun or glue dots. It's up to you which you prefer.
Instructions for how to assemble your Gobbling Turkey
Step 1 - Cut out turkeys and feathers
Step 2 - Cut string to desired length (min. 20")
Step 3 - Cut sponge into pieces measuring 1" x 1/2"
Step 4 - Poke hole in bottom of cup
Step 5 - Tie string onto button
Step 6 - Thread string down through the hole in cup with button on the outside bottom of the cup
Step 7 - Glue button to the cup to secure it
Step 8 - Tie end of string tightly around center of sponge, then knot it to secure it
Step 9 - Glue turkey & feathers onto cup
Now see how to make your turkey gobble!
- Hold your turkey in one hand and the sponge in the other.
- Make the sponge bend in half and pinch the string with it near the cup.
- Use slight jerking motions to make the sponge slide down the string, thereby causing the "gobbling" sound.
- (Sponge should be ever-so-slightly damp.)
Here's where you can get the pdf download with full instructions and photos for how to make these adorable gobbling turkeys